Executive, constitution, volunteers, contact details and official business.|
|Unsubscribe from the PAIN mailing list: This is one way to unsubscribe.Send an email to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. This must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list. Other email addresses won't work. The subject and content of the email do not matter and may be blank.|
|Mailing list maintenance: For mailing list maintenance, additions, deletions, changes, there are two options.Visit this web page. It is self service.Email PAIN IT or the exec with your request and it will be attended to promptly.||Please note that the PAIN mailing list is undergoing changes in 2017. If you would like to be part of the new mailing list, follow this link.|
||President: Sam Cree. The President is responsible for the society as a whole, speaks for the society in interactions with the Student Union and University faculties, and is supported in these tasks by the secretary, treasurer and volunteers.|
||Treasurer: Madeleine Stoermer. The Treasurer keeps financial records and ensures propriety in all the clubs financial matters.|
||Secretary: Brigid Wilson. The Secretary keeps minutes of meetings and is responsible for all formal correspondence on behalf of the club.|
||Club Liason: Andrew Penton|
Communication Officer: Ahmad Mohit
Tearoom Managers: Chris Chang and Chris Johnson
Social Convenors: Kieran Thomas, Corey Hanrahan, Kwan Goddard Lee and Robert Hislop
||Webmaster & IT: Webmaster is responsible for web site and mailing list maintenance, IT matters in general, and supports the executive and social convenors with timely electronic communications with members.|
This constitution is enacted on this 27th day of October 2000.
- The Club/Society shall be called PAIN
- The Club/Society shall be an associated body of the University of Queensland Union in the category of Faculty/Departmental.
Aims and Objectives
- The aims of the Club/Society are:
- Explore different physics phenomena
- Create a place for physicists to interact with others in field
- Make study of physics fun
- Non-profit clause
The assets and income of the Club/Society shall be applied solely in the furtherance of its above-mentioned objects and no portion shall be distributed directly or indirectly to the members of the Club/Society except as bona fide compensation for services rendered or expenses incurred on behalf of the Club/Society.
- Membership is opened to:
- any student of the University of Queensland
- any University of Queensland academic staff member
- any other members of the University or wider community interested in Club/Society's activities
- The Club/Society shall not have less than
- thirty (30) financial members in the case of a subsidised club
- fifteen (15) financial members in the case of a publication club
- ten (10) financial members in the case of an Ipswich based club
- 70% of the Club/Society's membership must be students.
- The Club/Society shallnot adopt aims or objectives, which would bring it under the jurisdiction of the University of Queensland Sports Association (UQ Sport).
- The membership fees shall be such sum, as the members shall from time to time at any general meeting so determine, but shall be not less than two (2) dollars per member per annum.
- The membership fees shall be payable upon joining the Club/Society.
Termination of Membership
- A member may resign from the Club/Society at any time by giving notice in writing to the secretary.
- Such resignation shall take effect at the time such notice is received by the secretary unless a later date is specified in the notice when it shall take effect on that later date.
- If a member -
- fails to comply with any of the provisions of these rules
- has membership fees in arrears
- conducts himself or herself in a manner considered to be injurious or prejudicial to the character or interests of the Club/Society, the management committee shall consider whether the member's membership shall be terminated.
- The member concerned shall be given a full and fair opportunity of presenting the member's case and if the management committee resolves to terminate the membership it shall instruct the secretary to advise the member in writing accordingly.
Register of Members
- The management committee shall cause a register to be kept in which shall be entered the names, student number and residential addresses of all persons admitted to membership of the Club/Society and the dates of their admission.
- Particulars shall also be entered into the register of resignations, terminations and reinstatement of membership and any further particulars as the management committee or the members at any general meeting may require from time to time.
- The register shall be open for inspection at all reasonable times by any member who previously applies to the secretary for such inspection and a copy provided for the clubs and Societies Administration Officer each semester.
Membership of Management Committee
- The management committee of the Club/Society shall
consist of a president, secretary and treasurer, all of whom
shall be members of the Club/Society, and such number of other
members as the members of the Club/Society at any general
meeting may from time to time elect. All the aforestated
office bearers must be students of the University. Membership of
the management committee shall not be restricted other than by
being a student of the University of Queensland.
- At the annual general meeting of the Club/Society, all
members of the management committee for the time being shall
retire from office, but shall be eligible upon nomination for
- The election of officers and other memebrs of the
management committee shall take place in the following manner
- any two (2) members of the Club/Society shall be at
liberty to nominate any other member to serve as an officer
or other member of the management committee
- the nomination, which shall be in writing and signed by
the member and the member's proposer and seconder, shall be
lodged with the secretary at least fourteen (14) days before
the annual general meeting at which the election is to take
- a list of the candidates' names in alphabetical order,
with the proposers' and seconders' names shall be posted in
a conspicuous place in the office or usual place of meeting
of the Club/Society for at least seven (7) days immediately
preceeding the annual general meeting
- balloting lists shall be prepared (if necessary)
containing the names of the candidates in alphabetical
order, and each memeber present at the annual general
meeting shall be entitled to vote for any number of such
candidates not exceeding the number of vacancies
- at the commencement of such a meeting, nominations may be
taken from the floor
- any informality or irregularity in the elections must be
brought to the attention of the Clubs and Societies
Administration Officer within fourteen (14) days of the
- in the case of a secret ballot, the assembly will select
a returning officer, who shall be responsible for ensuring
the orderly running of elections
Resignation or Removal from Office of Member of Management Committtee
- Any member of the management committee may resign from
membership of the management committee at any time by giving
notice in writing to the secretary but such resignation shall
take effect at the time such notice is received by the
secretary unless a later date is specified in the notice when
it shall take effect on that later date or such member may be
removed from office at a general meeting of the Club/Society
where that member shall be given the opportunity to fully
present the member's case.
- The question of removal shall be determined by a vote of
60% majority of the members present at such a general meeting
and must be endorsed by the Clubs and Societies committee.
- There is no right of appeal against a member's
removal from office under this section.
Vacancies on Management Committee
- The management committee shall have power at any time to
appoint any member of the Club/Society to fill any casual
vacancy on the management committee until the next annual
- The continuing members of the management committee may act
notwithstanding any casual vacancy in the management
committee, however, if their number is reduced below the
number fixed as is necessary for quorum of the management
committee, the continuing member or members may act for the
purpose of increasing the number of members of the management
committee to that number required to achieve a quorum or by
sommoning a general meeting of the association, but for no
Functions of the Management Committee
- Except as otherwise provided by these rules and subject to
resolutions of the members of the Club/Society carried at any
general meeting the management committee -
- shall have the general control and management of the
administration of the affairs and funds of the Club/Society
- shall have authority to interpret the meaning of these
rules and any matter realting to the Club/Society on which
these rules are silent.
- The management committee may exercise all the power of the
- to raise or secure the payment of money in such
manner as the members of the Club/Society may think fit
and secure the payment or performance of any debt,
liability or other engagement incurred or to be entered
into by the Club/Society in any way
- The management committee will take full responsibility for
all publications produced by the Club/Society or by any of its members.
Meetings of Management Committee
- The management committee shall meet at least once every
two (2) calendar months to exercise its functions.
- The management committee shall be called by the secretary
with seven (7) days notice.
- The secretary and/or their nominee for the meeting must
keep an accurate record of resolutions passed at all
management committee meetings.
- A special meeting of the management committee shall be
convened by the Secretary on the requisition in writing signed
by not less than one-third (1/3) of the members of the
management committee, which requisition shall clearly state
the reasons why such a special meeting is being convened and
the nature of the business to be transacted thereat.
- At every meeting of the management committee a simple
majority of 50% of members plus one (1) elected and/or
appointed to the management committee as at the close of the
last general meeting of the members shall constitue a quorum.
- Subject as previously provided in this section, the
management committee may meet together and regulate its
proceedings as it thinks fit.
- However, questions arising at any meeting of the
management committee shall be as decided by a majority of
votes and, in the case of equality of votes, the questions
shall be deemed to be decided in the negative.
- A member of the management committee shall not vote in
respect of any matter in which the member is financially
interested, or any matter arising thereout, and if the member
does so vote the member's vote shall not be counted.
- Not less than fouteen (14) days notice shall be given by
the secretary to members of the management committee of any
special meeting of the management committee.
- Such notice shall clearly state the nature of the business
to be discussed thereat
- The president shall preside as chairperson at every
meeting of the management committee, or if there is no
president, or if at any meeting the president is not present
within ten (10) minutes after the time appointed for holding
the meeting, the vice-president shall be chairperson or if the
vice-president is not present at the meeting then the members
may choose one (1) of their number to be chairperson of the
- If within half an hour from the time appointed for the
commencement of a management committee meeting a quorum is not
present, the meeting, if convened upon requisition of members
of the management committee, shall lapse.
- If in any other case it shall stand adjourned to the same
day in the next week at the same time and place, or to such
other day and at such other time and place as the
management committee may determine, and if at the adjourned
meeting a quorum is not present within half an hour from the
time appointed for the meeting, the meeting shall lapse.
Delegation of Powers of Management Committee
- The management committee may delegate any of its powers to
a subcommittee consisting of such members of the association
as the management committee thinks fit.
- Any subcommittee so formed shall in the exercise of the
powers so delegated conform to any regulations that may be
imposed on it by the management committee.
- A subcommittee may elect a chairperson of its meetings.
- If no such chairperson is elected, or if at any meeting
the chairperson is not present within ten (10) minutes after
the time appointed for holding the meeting the members present
may choose one (1) of their number to be the chairperson of
- A subcommittee may meet and adjourn, as it thinks proper.
- Questions arising at any meeting shall be determined by a
majority of votes of the members present and, in the case of
an equality of votes, the question shall be deemed to be
decided in the negative.
Resolutions of Management Committee without Meeting
- A flying minute signed by all the members of the
management committee shall be as valid and effectual as if it
had been passed at a meeting of the management committee duly
convened and held.
- Any such resolution may consist of several documents in
like form, each signed by one (1) or more members of the
First Annual General Meeting
- The first annual general meeting must be held within twelve
(12) months after the day the Club/Society is fully affiliated.
Subsequent Annual General Meetings
- Each subsequent annual general meeting must be held -
The annual general meeting will be held in the month of October each
- at least once each year
- within three (3) months after the end of the Club/Society's
previous financial year.
Business to be Transacted at Annual General Meeting
- The following business must be transacted at every annual
general meeting -
- the receiving of the statement of income and expenditure,
assets and liabilities for the last financial year prepared by
- the receiving reports from the president and secretary
- the receiving of the auditor's report on the financial
affairs of the Club/Society for the last financial year
- the presenting of the audited statement to the meeting for
- the election of members of the management committee
- the appointment of an auditor who shall be the nominee of
the Union for Clubs/Societies or an independent auditor who
must be a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in
Australia or the Australian Association of Accountants or a
successor to either of these bodies
- the minutes of the annual general meeting shall be
submitted to the Clubs and Societies Administration Officer
within seven (7) days of the annual general meeting.
- where there is a tied vote, the issue will be deemed to
have been resolved in the negative.
Special General Meeting
- The secretary shall convene a special general meeting by
sending out notice of the meeting within fourteen (14) days
- being directed to do so by the management committee
- being given a requisition in writing signed by not less
than one-third (1/3) of the members presently on the
management committee or from ordinary members not less than
double the number of members presently on the
management committee plus one (1)
- being given a notice in writing of an intention to
appeal against the decision of the management committee to
reject an application for membership or to terminate the
membership of any person
- A requisition mentioned in subsection 19 a.(ii) shall
clearly state the reasons why such a special general meeting
is being convened and the nature of the business to be
Quorum at General Meeting
- At any general meeting the number of members required to
constitute a quorum shall be 15% of the membership plus one (1), or 16
members, whichever is less.
Notice of General Meeting
- The secretary shall convene at least two general meetings per
semester of the Club/Society by giving not less than fourteen (14)
days notice of any such meeting to the members of the Club/Society.
- The manner by which such notice shall be given shall be
determined by the management committee.
- Notice of a general meeting shall clearly state the nature of the
business to be discussed thereat.
Procedure at General Meeting
- Unless otherwise provided by these rules, at every general
- the president shall preside as chairperson, or if
there is no president, or if the president is not
present within fifteen (15) minutes after the time
appointed for the holding of the meeting or is unwilling
to act, the vice-president shall be the chairperson or
if the vice-president is not present or is unwilling to
act then the members present shall elect one (1) of
their number to be the chairperson of the meeting
- the chairperson shall maintain order and conduct the
meeting in a proper and orderly manner
- every question, matter or resolution shall be decided by
a majority of votes of the members present
- every resolution must be minuted.
Alteration of Rules
- These rules may be amended or added to from time to time by a
special resolution carried at any general meeting.
- However any amendment or addition is valid only if it is
registered by the president and approved by the Clubs and Societies
- A special resolution is passed at a meeting if -
- of the entitled members of the Club/Society who vote in
person or (if proxies are allowed) by proxy at the meeting, not
less than three quarters (3/4) vote in favour of the resolution;
- any additional requirements of the constitution relating to
the passing of a special resolution have been met.
- A resolution is not to be considered to have been passed as a
special resolution under sub-section (b) unless not
less than 21 days notice has been given in accordance with the
rules to all of the entitled members of the Club/Society
specifying the intention to propose the resolution as a special
- At any meeting at which a special resolution is submitted, a
declaration by the chairperson that the resolution has been
carried is conclusive proof of the fact unless a poll is demanded.
- In this section ``entitled member'' means a member of the
Club/Society who is entitled under the rules of the association to vote.
Funds and Accounts
- The funds of the Club/Society must be kept in the name of
the Club/Society in the University of Queensland branch of the
Commonwealth Bank. The Club/Society shall operate one(1)
account only. Exceptions to this can only occur with the
specific approval of the Clubs and Societies committee.
- Proper books and accounts shall be kept and maintained
either in written or printed form in the English language
showing correctly the financial affairs of the Club/Society
and the particulars usually shown in books of a like nature.
- All monies shall be deposited in total as soon as
practicable after receipt thereof.
- All amounts shall be paid for by cheque signed by any two
(2) of the president, secretary or treasurer or other member
authorised from time to time by the management committee
and/or the Clubs and Societies Administration Officer.
- Cheques shall be crossed ``not negotiable''.
- The management committee shall determine the amount of
petty cash which shall be kept.
- All expenditure shall be approved or ratified at a
management committee meeting.
- As soon as practicable after the end of each financial
year the treasurer shall cause to be prepared a statement
containing the particulars of -
- the income and expenditure for the financial year just
- the assets and liabilities at the close of that year
- The accounts of the Club/Society must be audited one month
prior to the annual general meeting.
- The auditor must examine the statement prepared by the
treasurer and present a report on it to the secretary before
the next annual general meeting following the financial year
for which the audit was made.
- The income and property of the Club/Society must be used
solely in promoting the Club/Society's objectives and
exercising the Club/Society's powers.
- In the event of the Club/Society being dissolved, the amount
that remains after such dissolution and the satisfaction of all
debts and liabilities shall be transferred to any association with
similar purposes which is not carried on for the profit or gain of
its individual members.
- The management committee shall provide for the safe custody of
books, documents, instruments of title and securities of the Club/Society.
- The financial year of the Club/Society shall close on 31 July
in each year.
This constitution was amended by a special resolution passed at the general meeting of PAIN, held on 27 October 2006.
This constitution was amended by a special resolution passed at the general meeting of PAIN, held on 26 October 2007.
Contact. Sitemap. Best viewed on 1024 or wider screen. Report browser incompatibility or site problems to Webmaster. Last updated 4th August 2015.