Matt's arXiv selection for Monday 16th January 2006

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:44:25 +1000 (EST)

This week is only a day late....

Cheers,
Matt.

\\
Paper: cond-mat/0601103
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:49:02 GMT (110kb)

Title: Pomeranchuk and Topological Fermi Surface Instabilities from Central
   Interactions
Authors: J. Quintanilla and A. J. Schofield
Comments: 6 pages, 3 figures
Subj-class: Strongly Correlated Electrons; Statistical Mechanics
\\
   We address, at the mean field (MF) level, the emergence of a Pomeranchuk
instability (PI) in a uniform Fermi liquid with \emph{central}
particle-particle interactions. We find that a PI with all symmetries, except
$l=1,$ can take place if the interaction is repulsive and has a finite range
$r_{0}$ of the order of the inter-particle distance. We demonstrate this by
solving the MF equations analytically for a simple model interaction. We find,
in addition to the PI, other, subtler phase transitions in which the Fermi
surface changes topology without rotational symmetry-breaking. We argue that
such ``interaction-driven Lifshitz transitions'' may be as generic to such
systems as the PI.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0601103 , 110kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0601109