Matt's arXiv selection, Monday 15th May 2006.

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:28:53 +1000 (EST)

The following message was sent to the matts_arxiv list by Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>

Lots of interesting papers this week.

List home page is:
http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/mdavis/matts_arXiv/

The abstracts:

\\
Paper: cond-mat/0605138
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 12:40:09 GMT (52kb)

Title: Landau functions for non-interacting bosons
Authors: Andreas Sinner, Florian Schuetz, and Peter Kopietz
Comments: 4 pages, 4 figures
Subj-class: Statistical Mechanics
\\
   We define and calculate the Landau functions and the associated order
parameter probability distributions for Bose-Einstein condensation (BEC) and
spontaneous symmetry breaking (SSB) of non-interacting bosons within a
canonical ensemble. We show that even for finite clusters consisting of N >= 2
bosons there is an unambiguously defined critical temperature where the Landau
function continuously develops minima at a finite value of the relevant order
parameter. For infinite systems BEC and SSB are described by the same Landau
function whose shape exhibits a rather complicated dependence on the
dimensionality and on the form of the external potential.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0605138 , 52kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0605140