Matt's arXiv selection, Tuesday 12th September 2006.

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:35:41 +1000 (EST)

The following message was sent to the matts_arxiv list by Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>

Home page: http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/mdavis/matts_arXiv/

Abstracts for this week:

\\
Paper: cond-mat/0609007
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 01:54:29 GMT (977kb)

Title: Coherence-enhanced imaging of a degenerate Bose gas
Authors: L. E. Sadler, J. M. Higbie, S. R. Leslie, M. Vengalattore, and D. M.
   Stamper-Kurn
Comments: 4 pages, 4 figures
Subj-class: Other
\\
   We present coherence-enhanced imaging, an in situ technique that uses Raman
superradiance to probe the spatial coherence properties of an ultracold gas.
Applying this method, we obtain a spatially resolved measurement of the
condensate number and more generally, of the first-order spatial correlation
function in a gas of $^{87}$Rb atoms. We observe the enhanced decay of
propagating spin gratings in high density regions of a Bose condensate, a decay
we ascribe to collective, non-linear atom-atom scattering. Further, we directly
observe spatial inhomogeneities that arise generally in the course of extended
sample superradiance.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0609007 , 977kb)
\\
Paper: cond-mat/0609014