[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 8 May 2009

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:25:22 +1000

Dear subscribers,

Andy Ferris has compiled this week's mailing. It has 30 new preprints and 11
replacements:

\\
arXiv:0905.0052
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 06:10:07 GMT (359kb)

Title: Optimised control of Stark-shift-chirped rapid-adiabatic-passage in a
   lambda-type three-level system
Authors: Johann-Heinrich Sch\"onfeldt, Jason Twamley, Stojan Rebi\'c
Categories: quant-ph
Comments: 6 pages, 6 figures, 1 table
\\
   Inhomogeneous broadening of energy levels is one of the principal limiting
factors for achieving "slow" or "stationary" light in solid state media by
means of electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT), a quantum version of
stimulated Raman adiabatic passage (STIRAP). Stark-shift-chirped
rapid-adiabatic-passage (SCRAP) has been shown to be far less sensitive to
inhomogeneous broadening than STIRAP, a population transfer technique to which
it is closely related. We further optimise the pulses used in SCRAP to be even
less sensitive to inhomogeneous broadening in a lambda-type three-level system.
The optimised pulses perform at a higher fidelity than the standard gaussian
pulses for a wide range of detunings (i.e. large inhomogeneous broadening).
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.0052 , 359kb)
\\
arXiv:0905.0093