[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 29 May 2009

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:35:14 +1000

Dear subscribers,

I'm still enlisting the help of my colleagues... today we can thank Geoff Lee
again. This mail contains 11 new preprints and 7 replacements.

\\
arXiv:0905.2897
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:35:04 GMT (869kb)

Title: Single-laser, one beam, tetrahedral magneto-optical trap
Authors: Matthieu Vangeleyn, Paul F. Griffin, Erling Riis, Aidan S. Arnold
Categories: physics.atom-ph
Comments: 8 pages, 6 figures, 2 movies
\\
   We have realised a 4-beam pyramidal magneto-optical trap ideally
suited for future microfabrication. Three mirrors split and steer a single
incoming beam into a tripod of reflected beams, allowing trapping in the
four-beam overlap volume. We discuss the influence of mirror angle on cooling
and trapping, finding optimum efficiency in a tetrahedral configuration. We
demonstrate the technique using an ex-vacuo mirror system to illustrate the
previously inaccessible supra-plane pyramid MOT configuration. Unlike standard
pyramidal MOTs both the pyramid apex and its mirror angle are non-critical and
our MOT offers improved molasses free from atomic shadows in the laser beams.
The MOT scheme naturally extends to a 2-beam refractive version with high
optical access. For quantum gas experiments, the mirror system could also be
used for a stable 3D tetrahedral optical lattice.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.2897 , 869kb)
\\
arXiv:0905.3634