[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 7 August 2009

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:46:06 +1000

Dear subscribers,

Another busy week with 28 new preprints and 17 replacements.

\\
arXiv:0907.5436
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:58:50 GMT (75kb)

Title: Low-dimensional weakly interacting Bose gases: non-universal equations
  of state
Authors: G.E. Astrakharchik, J. Boronat, I.L. Kurbakov, Yu.E. Lozovik,
  F.Mazzanti
Categories: cond-mat.quant-gas
Comments: 11 pages, 4 figures
\\
  The zero-temperature equation of state is analyzed in low-dimensional bosonic
systems. In the dilute regime the equation of state is universal in terms of
the gas parameter, i.e. it is the same for different potentials with the same
value of the s-wave scattering length. Series expansions of the universal
equation of state are reported for one- and two- dimensional systems. We
propose to use the concept of energy-dependent s-wave scattering length for
obtaining estimations of non-universal terms in the energy expansion. We test
this approach by making a comparison to exactly solvable one-dimensional
problems and find that the generated terms have the correct structure. The
applicability to two-dimensional systems is analyzed by comparing with results
of Monte Carlo simulations. The prediction for the non-universal behavior is
qualitatively correct and the densities, at which the deviations from the
universal equation of state become visible, are estimated properly. Finally,
the possibility of observing the non-universal terms in experiments with
trapped gases is also discussed.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/0907.5436 , 75kb)
\\
arXiv:0907.5523