[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 23 July 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:03:49 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Chao Feng, and contains 36 new
abstracts and 17 replacements.

\\
arXiv:1003.0854 (*cross-listing*)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 17:06:45 GMT (55kb,D)
Date (revised v2): Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:12:41 GMT (94kb)

Title: Multiple scattering of matter waves: an analytic model of the refractive
   index for atomic and molecular gases
Authors: Mikhail Lemeshko, Bretislav Friedrich
Categories: physics.atom-ph physics.chem-ph physics.optics quant-ph
Comments: 5 pages, 1 figure, 2 tables
\\
   We present an analytic model of the refractive index for matter waves
propagating through atomic or molecular gases. The model, which combines a WKB
treatment of the long range attraction with the Fraunhofer model treatment of
the short range repulsion, furnishes a refractive index in compelling agreement
with recent experiments of Jacquey et al. [Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 240405 (2007)]
on Li atom matter waves passing through dilute noble gases. We show that the
diffractive contribution, which arises from scattering by a two dimensional
"hard core" of the potential, is essential for obtaining a correct imaginary
part of the refractive index.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0854 , 94kb)
\\
arXiv:1007.2416 (*cross-listing*)