[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 17 September 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 23:11:29 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Geoff Lee, and contains 39 new
abstracts and 13 replacements.

\\
arXiv:1009.2017
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:04:40 GMT (488kb,D)

Title: Tackling the blackbody shift in a strontium optical lattice clock
Authors: Thomas Middelmann, Christian Lisdat, Stephan Falke, Joseph S.R.
   Vellore Winfred, Fritz Riehle, Uwe Sterr
Categories: physics.atom-ph quant-ph
Comments: 7 pages, 8 figures
\\
   A major obstacle for optical clocks is the frequency shift due to black body
radiation. We discuss how one can tackle this problem in an optical lattice
clock; in our case 87-Sr: firstly, by a measurement of the dc Stark shift of
the clock transition and, secondly, by interrogating the atoms in a cryogenic
environment. Both approaches rely on transporting ultracold atoms over several
cm within a probe cycle. We evaluate this approach of mechanically moving the
optical lattice and conclude that it is feasible to transport the atoms over 50
mm within 300 ms. With this transport a dc Stark shift measurement will allow
to reduce the contribution of the blackbody radiation to the fractional
uncertainty below 2 × 10^−17 at room temperature by improving the shift
coefficient known only from atomic structure calculations up to now. We propose
a cryogenic environment at 77 K that will reduce this contribution to few parts
in 10^−18.
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.2017 , 488kb)
\\
arXiv:1009.2036 (*cross-listing*)