[Matts-arxiv] Matt's arXiv selection: week ending 8 October 2010

From: Matthew Davis <mdavis_at_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:56:10 +1000

Dear subscribers,

This week's selection was compiled by Simon Haine, and contains 34 new
abstracts and 12 replacements.

\\
arXiv:0902.3980 (*cross-listing*)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:58:19 GMT (42kb,D)
Date (revised v2): Wed, 6 Oct 2010 20:18:10 GMT (42kb,D)

Title: Causality in Condensates: Grey Solitons as Remnants of BEC Formation
Authors: Wojciech H. Zurek
Categories: cond-mat.stat-mech hep-ph quant-ph
Comments: Typos in Eq. (3), (13), and (25) fixed
Journal-ref: Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 105702 (2009)
DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.102.105702
\\
   Symmetry breaking during phase transitions can lead to the formation of
topological defects (such as vortex lines in superfluids). However, the usually
studied BEC's have the shape of a cigar, a geometry that impedes vortex
formation, survival, and detection. I show that, in elongated traps, one can
expect the formation of "grey solitons" (long-lived, non-topological "phase
defects") as a result of the same mechanism. Their number will rise
approximately in proportion to the transition rate. This steep rise is due to
the increasing size of the region of the BEC cigar where the phase of the
condensate wavefunction is chosen locally (rather than passed on from the
already formed BEC).
\\ ( http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3980 , 42kb)
\\
arXiv:1007.4260 (*cross-listing*)